Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bye Bye Birdie



She's gone. Sold to a young fellow from Florida who has the talent (ATP, A&P, IA) and the time to finish the restoration of this magnificent airplane. I just wasn't flying her enough and there's something about my Scottish heritage that deplores waste ... (then, there's the Irish side that loves a good time - the two are constantly at war).

The Next Good Thing is out there - maybe another Cub, maybe an amphib, definitely a Light-Sport Airplane. I learned after more than a few years that flying is my thing, not Anina's. To Go Up and Look Down - maybe the title of my next book. Of course I have to finish the first one, first.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,
I have a great idea for your first book...print out this blog from start to finish. It's an enjoyable read and it has the feel of a pilot's log. So maybe you CAN start your second book! I'm sorry to hear about the Bonanza but I'm glad you are still flying as a Sport Pilot. I picked up a 49 Luscombe 8E six months after selling my Champ. It's a great fit for me and I love it!But...annuals, BFRs, medicals...Sport Pilot is in my future as well!

Anonymous said...

Make that a '47 Luscombe 8E. It started out as an 8A but somewhere along the way, the owner had the FAA change the certificate to 8E and now it isn't Sport Pilot legal.
John Chapman
Michigan

alex said...

Dadgum ... that LSA specification has a few catches in it ... maybe someday the powers that be will realize that a third class medical for light airplanes is just not worth the trouble. In the meantime there just isn't much to choose from in the way of affordable airplanes where you have the confidence in a proven airframe.