Sunday, November 24, 2013

Some things, you just have to do

The Callair Cadet is in Malcolm's shop undergoing a thorough restoration, so what's a fellow to fly? 


-Click on the pictures below to make them bigger-

The answer is to scratch an old itch. I've always wanted to feel the wind through my (diminishing) hair and look out through clear air unimpeded by plexiglas. 


A Breezy seemed like a good idea but I flew once (in 1976) with Charlie Shivers in his Breezy and I quickly got the idea that it wouldn't take long, as the airport philosopher Harold said, "to get a bate of flying in a Breezy" (from the auld Gaelic, meaning in this case "to get enough of"). So I did what anyone would do, I looked around for a non-breezy Breezy.


...and the answer came in a flash (after 2 years): the Woody's Pusher

ta-da


 The illusion, at least, that there's something holding you inside makes all the difference


...so does a windscreen


 If you don't see an instrument, you don't need it.

"Woody" was an actual fellow named Harris L. Woods from Holly Springs NC. An engineer by training and avocation, Woody designed some seventeen unique and different aircraft for production and homebuilders, first as an employee of some of the best known aerospace companies in the U.S., then the Benson Gyrocopter company and then as the founder, chief bill payer and janitor of his own Aerosport Corporation. His range was broad; seven of his creations were gyrocopters, two were air-cushion vehicles and the remaining eight were fixed-wing airplanes. The Pusher was patterned loosely after the Curtiss-Wright CW-1 Junior. (One of the designers of the predecessor to the Junior, the "Skeeter", was Walter Beech, who went on to found Beechcraft.)

The Curtiss-Wright CW-1 "Junior", powered by a 45hp Szekely radial engine. This example is in the Smithsonian National Air&Space Museum.

We lost Woody in 1975 but his favorite design flies on. 


For more on Woody and his designs, go to: http://www.oshkosh365.org/saarchive/eaa_articles/1977_02_16.pdf

My new friend Denny saw winter approaching northern Iowa and decided he needed an LSA-compliant trainer instead of the Woody, so we talked, emailed, and talked some more and I ended up doing something I'd never done before: I bought an airplane sight unseen. Denny arranged for a pre-buy and disassembled the airplane - Tony Partain trucked it down to Florida for me (A GREAT service. If you ever need an airplane shipped somewhere, Tony and his driver-partner Michael are TOPS). Malcolm and I helped unload late at night after Michael's very long day. This was the very best way to do this in November. When Malcolm took a look at the workmanship and overall quality of the airplane, he allowed as to I might have a friendly angel looking out for me - it looked really good.




The Woody is going together now and I can't wait to have it flying. That old itch begs for scratching.


3 comments:

Marquis Childs said...

Hi Alex, I'm interested in possibly owning and flying a Woody Pusher. I discovered your blog via the web while doing research on the plane. I'm not a rated pilot yet with only 22 hours in a C-150 and C-172. I'd like to fly for fun and this plane looks like a lot of fun. How is it though for a new pilot? I'd have to get tailwheel training of course, but would it be a good plane for a novice or more for an advanced pilot?

Thanks,

Marquis

alex said...

Well Marquis, I don't check for comments on my posts and am not notified when someone does ... If I'm a bit late, forgive, please.

The Woody was a batch of fun for me and makes for a terrific "go up to look down" experience. Certainly there have been a few pilots who have jumped into a Woody with only a few flying hours to their credit but I think a bit of seasoning would be advantageous. It's not so much that it's difficult to fly; it's that the references you're used to in an airplane with tractor configuration just aren't there .. had I been in that position with only a few flying hours it would have been quite a challenge.

As it was, there were some peculiarities that I had to get used to but once figured out they just added to the charm of the airplane.

Marquis Childs said...

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply. I've been keenly interested in the Woody Pusher for quite some time. I think there's an uptick in the design and Harris Wood's grandson, Scott Wood, is reviving the design by offering the plans again and also a kit for those who want to go that route.

I ended up with a similar type of plane, the Rans S-18, which I am in the process of restoring. I imagine it'll have similar flying characteristics to the Woody Pusher, e.g. not the usual visual references per a tractor plane, and how the nose goes up when you reduce power and goes down when you increase power.

P.S. I hope you see this. I got your reply but lost your email so couldn't respond directly.

Overall though I think it's just like you said,

"...there were some peculiarities that I had to get used to but once figured out they just added to the charm of the airplane."

Take care and thanks again for getting back to me!

Marquis