Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Flying for the pure fun of it

I guess I always wanted to fly. A very early memory is the surprise I felt when we were driving to the Hendersonville (NC) Horse Show in the late 1940s or early 1950s and our route took us past the local airport. It was a grass runway then but had lights and a rotating beacon. I saw the beacon when we drove home after dark and spent many a night looking out my bedroom window as it swept across the sky. The steady repetition of green, white, green, white was a metronome of sorts that led me one fine day in 1971 to Bluegrass Field in Lexington KY and Bohmer Flying Service, where I took my primary instruction in the pilot's arts.

I digress (it's a genetic component in the Southern DNA - likely Irish - a simple story is subject to innumerable asides).

After my late start as a career aviator, through AVGAS and Jet-A, props and jets, junior-ness and senior-ness, I am free of OPS (other people's schedules) and fly when and where I want. 

The other day, Jack and I decided to take a long cross-country trip - almost 23 miles! - to visit friends at Hobby Hill Airport. Here is a video of our adventure, captured by my poor-man's GoPro - a pair of sunglasses with a built-in camera. The production quality is awful but we had fun.




No comments: