Friday, October 04, 2019

I can't believe I missed September

Well, here we are in October already and I wonder where last month went! To tell the truth, it was a blur ... heat and home projects have a way of interfering with airplane fun and there was enough of both those things to keep me busy.

The really cool thing for September was the discovery of a new (to me) gadget for adding AHRS, ADSB-IN, GPS and iPad interface to both airplanes ... it's a portable box with a couple of rabbit ear antennae and it runs off rechargable battery packs. Nifty neat-o. For under $250 I can see the same information in my non-electrical system CallAir that the company used to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to see in the Gulfstreams I flew:
The next thing that had to be done was a leg-stretching flight to see how the Glastar performs on a representative trip, the likes of which I have been fantasizing for years. Friend George was the target audience and we met after an hour and a half hop from the mountains to the low country of South Carolina. Lunch at a fish camp was perfect, the ambiance and denizens at the bar stools just perfect, the guy tuning his electric guitar for the evening show was temporarily perfect and the trip, as it turned out, gave me a really satisfying glimpse of many such trips in my future. The only question that came up was why I was seeing a ghost airplane trailing me all the way down and back .. my nifty neat-o portable avionic will have to be tweaked a bit.
The CallAir and I made a couple of valley runs to see if anything was new .. I love flying that airplane, but I really do want to sell it to un-cramp the hangar space.

So that's the news for September 2019 from The Valley of the Old French Broad (River) ..



No comments: