Friday, January 06, 2017

The CallAir Cadet Restoration - index of posts

Here it is, the first of 2017 and the full restoration of my airplane is just about done. Here is an index of all my posts about the CallAir Cadet. When I bought the airplane from Burt's family, I really had no idea what I was getting into. The airplane looked ok mechanically and I thought a simple recovering job might be it, but the more I looked into the history of the airplane, the more intrigued I became and, I have to admit, my heart got ahead of my head. But that's what I do. Same was true with the Bonanza I bought from a WWII Navy Ace, same was true with a couple of Cubs. Leave them better than you found them.

My own skills are just not up to scratch when it comes to projects like this - I have to leave it to professionals. 

So in chronological order:


We're pretty close now. All the parts have been cut out and fitted and painted and most have been secured in place. The windshield is the current Big Deal and that, hopefully, will be in place this month. Finding a replacement for a part that has been obsolete for 75 years, give or take, is a bit of a challenge but, fortunately, Malcolm has experience with fabricating things like this and so, one way or another, we'll have a new windshield.

I've quit forecasting a completion date. It'll be done when it's done.

No comments: